Monday, March 11, 2013

Spartan Race 2013 World Rankings....and how the hell did I get on there?!

One of the special moments in writing a blog is when you see that people all over the world are actually looking at it. I have no idea who they are or what they think about it. But just knowing that someone in Croatia or Ukraine or Australia is reading these is exciting. Another special (read: strange) moment is to one day wake up and find that you are an internationally ranked obstacle racer! No really...stop laughing...here's the picture to prove it.  I wouldn't lie to you!  Well...ok...maybe I would, but not about this.

Ok...the fact is, everybody that finishes a race has a ranking. And while being 118th out of 222 in my age group is personally gratifying, I'm not expecting Reebok or Wheaties (do they still make that??!) to come knocking on my door anytime soon. The truth of the matter is, there is great advantage in attrition! Being old lessens the competition. You can check out on their website, the formula for how Spartan Race calculates these ranking points.   It's pretty simply to understand really...I only had to pull out my college calculus, physics and actuarial books to follow some of the math.

So, at the age of 55, it seems I've managed to achieve something in sports that I'd never even thought of before. I had all but given up hope on an NFL career (anyone that knows me will tell you I have this little problem with giving up on things). Even a respectable college football career seems unlikely and I will have to settle for attending that NFL football factory now known as "The U".  But somehow, through the magic of Spartan Race, I have become a world ranked obstacle racer!  How does it feel?  Well...it doesn't suck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment